Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Leaning on the Source

Scripture (Proverbs 22)

4 Humility is the fear of the LORD;
its wages are riches and honor and life.

6 Start children off on the way they should go,
and even when they are old they will not turn from it.

11 One who loves a pure heart and who speaks with grace
will have the king for a friend.

15 Folly is bound up in the heart of a child,
but the rod of discipline will drive it far away.


Observation
Vs 4
- What does it takes to be humble?
Humility towards another person means that I'm willing to lay down my pride and own ways to willingly submit all of these to this someone.

What does it mean to be humble before the Lord?
To submit and surrender our KOGAE to the Lord and with attentive ears and heart, to obey Him.

I do know that to humble ourselves before the Lord always work out for the best.

A lot of times we find it hard to obey Him is because subconsciously, we have yet to trust in the Lord. Indirectly, we are saying that our ways far supersede His ways. Indirectly, we are saying that our knowledge and ability to judge the situations are far better than His.

This scripture reveals the beauty of humbling ourselves to the Lord. And that is, we will receive riches, honor (respect) and life. Riches to me here does not truly mean physical wealth but richness in obtaining wisdom. This I see is far more valuable than diamonds and rubies or even luxurious houses/cars/$$$$$. What is the use of accumulating this so-called success we deep within, we know that the vacuum in our soul can only be filled by Him?

=============
Vs 6&15
- There are 2 categories of "children" that I see here:

i) Parents => Children/ Kids
ii) Leaders=> New International Students/Young believers

In the midst of building the community and the next generation, it is crucial for us, the future parents & leaders to start educating and nurturing our "children" in the ways of the Lord. I believe that it is easier to teach, train, encourage and discipline our "children" when they are young. Be it by age or by faith.

==============
Vs 11
- One who is pure in heart, speak and acts in grace will have friendship from well-esteemed authority.


Application
- To draw near to God. To fear Him because I love him and wants to please Him. To obey Him when He speaks.
- To be responsible to those who is following me. To be accountable to my mentors. To look forward to teaching and educating my children in the ways of the Lord.
- To pursue purity of heart and wise speech, not necessarily to gain friendship from higher authority but to imitate Christ' ways in life.

Prayer
Father, you never failed to amaze me. Your words are beautiful and they give me meaning. Father, you are the only one who can fill the yearning in my heart and soul. Father, I pray that I will not loose focus on other things but to run to you, yearning after you and to draw from you. I know that I can do NOTHING apart from you, my Father. Therefore, let the source of all my thoughts, words and actions come from you alone.

Loving you,
Doreen C.

No comments: