Wednesday, May 6, 2009

To love others, just as we have been loved

Scripture
We love because he first loved us. 20If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother. 1 John 4:19-21

Observation
I remembered J asking me the other day on this," How do you know that God loves you"? The first thought that came into my mind was this, " Of course, He loves me. It IS already written in His Words." But, as usual, just to tease J, I said the opposite.

What is love? Which comes first? The thing is a lot of people do not feel Gods' love. Isn't the word sufficient enough? Isn't the stories REAL enough to penetrate through our doubtful minds? One of the usual reply will be this, "I'm not able to relate to the stories in the bible, is it only relevant to the generation at that time". Fair enough. I begin to realised this," To those who are hurt/taught in the ways of the world/plain sceptic, it will be more difficult to see that this God truly loves and care for them." Truly enough, it takes the love of the community and individuals who represent Christ to pour out this unconditional love and hope of Christ unto them. It takes one who is selfless to love (just like Christ). It is indeed a challenge for us to love the unlovable, to love those who are sinning, to love and support the weaknesses of our peers. Living in a community, we are surrounded by people whom we say that we still stick through, thick and thin but when tough time comes, are we STILL able to support each other weaknesses or simply shun them. Do I have this Christs' like love to keep loving my sis & bro whom we know are slowly drifting away from the light? Am I able to walk with them through the end?

God says, "whoever who does not love his brother, is a liar". God is love. God loves his children. God loves ALL who are made in His image. Jesus loves the sinner and those who are broken with a contrite heart. He loves the poor, the Gentiles, the tax collectors but the Pharisees, judge them by their deeds. Is it possible for us to still loved as Christ has loved us?

The answer is YES. My dear J did. Little did he realised that God has used him to pour out unconditional love to me when I was at my lowest. Thank you, dear. Like I say, you are used to represent His love to those around. So, friends, this is the hope and love of Christ being showered through his children.


Application
- To love and accept each other just as how Christ has loved and accepted me from the beginning.
- To trust that God is in control of all situations.
- To believe that true love covers all multitude of sins. Perfect love drives out all fears just as quoted in "18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.1 John 4:18)


Prayer
Lord God, I pray for patience and wisdom. Father, I pray for the opportunity to love others. I pray for your unconditional love to accept others just as how you have. At the end of the day, you desire a strong community who truly reflect the goodness and true Christ-like character to those who does not know you. Prepare us Lord. Prepare all of us for the works of your Kingdom. Amen!

No comments: