Friday, May 22, 2009

Work for food that leads to eternal life

Scripture
28Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"

29Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent." John 6: 28-29

Observation
Jesus taught the people to work for food that endures to eternal life vs works for food that are perishable. Gods work is gives life to others but work committed for the sake of getting more monetary returns are for the enjoyment for the worker only.

Had a conversation with E & M on MSN yesterday and both agrees that money is above all things. There is no purpose at work but to get high pay from the employer. Loyalty among employers and employees are history. The new "IN" thing to do is to jump as many ships one can gets in order to get higher pay at the end. Reason for higher pay is to accumulate more assets & better lifestyles for the family.

This makes me wonder why one earth we are here for? To race after perishable things or to truly live our life to the fullest? If I'm going to spend 40 hrs at work, 160hrs a month for the next 20 years; jumping from one company to another just to fatten my bank accounts, my ego boast and my well-being, will I be truly satisfied?

This goes the same with relationships? If I am to spent my time with my better half, all the time just to make sure the relationship is in control, will I ever be free to trust the relationship to be truly secure when I let it go?

This brings down to what Jesus mentioned above. Human run after security of wealth, relationships because there is fear. Fear of losing things, hence the need to be in control. But Jesus said, if we are to believe in Him, we don't have to work for food that are perishable.

To believe in Jesus is to know that:
- He is our provider
- He is our only one true God that we are to worship, and no other Gods
- We shall not make ourselves any forms of idols
- He is our Mighty God, Wonderful Counsellor, Everlasting Father and Prince of Peace
- He has plans to prosper us, not to harm us.

If we truly BELIEVE Jesus to be all of the above, is there a need to run after work that are perishable? Is there a need to control and maintain our relationships?


Application
- The answer is No: Another opportunity for me to live by faith and not by sight.

Prayer
Father, thank you for this insight. Father, give me courage to obey you. To see beyond my own self. To be true to you. To love what you love. To hate what you hate. Father, be with me as I seek after you. :)

Love,
dory

No comments: